Walter Williams, dean of the School of Journalism and president of the University of Missouri, died in his home on July 29, 1935. One month before his death he was interviewed by Editor & Publisher and revealed plans or a second building for the School of Journalism.
Professor Frank Lee Martin would be the next dean of the School of Journalism. Photo below.
1936 - New connecting addition to Neff Hall and construction of Walter Williams Hall. (Left photo: arial view of Neff Hall Arch and Walter Williams Hall taken from MU Brick & Mortar. Right photo: The Journalism Arch, with its inscriptions, "Wise Shall Be the Bearers of Light" and "The Schoolmaster of the People").
The Missouri Alumnus Magazine November 1936 - pg. 11 and 24 - "The new and larger journalism library will be moved to a bigger room in the new addition and the old quarters in Jay H. Neff Hall will be taken over by the news room".
The Missouri Alumnus Magazine May 1937 - Walter Williams Hall dedication occured during 25th annual Journalism Week on May 7, 1937,
Walter Williams Hall
Walter Williams Hall was dedicated on November 21, 1936. (Dedication Brochure for multiple buildings constructed)
Excerpts from: English, E. (1988). Journalism education at the University of Missouri-Columbia. Marceline, Mo. Walsworth.
Dean Frank Martin died at his home Friday, July 18, 1941, The Missouri Alumnus Magazine dedicated the July/August 1941 issue to him.
Full dedication brochure from University of Missouri Bulletin Journalism Series V. 44(2) Journalism Series 91
The Memorial and the Portrait - At least four organizations gave independent consideration to the establishment of a permanent memorial. After consultation among representatives of these four organizations, the University administration, the Journalism Alumni Association, the faculty of the School of Journalism and the Missouri Press Association, it was agreed that it would be a fitting memorial to dedicate the library of the school to his memory and name it the Frank Lee Martin Memorial Library.
After the Board of Curators of the University had voted to name the Journalism Library in Walter Williams Hall for Dean Martin, a committee was appointed by Senator Paul C. Jones, of Kennett, president of the Journalism Alumni Association, to obtain a portrait of Dean Martin to hang in the library.
Painted by Mr. Wallace Bassford of St. Louis, the portrait was hung on the south wall of the library, opposite the doorway. Here it is seen immediately as one enters the library and one is immediately impressed by the life-like quality of the painting of Dean Martin seated at his desk in Jay H. Neff Hall. The portrait was unveiled at a dedication ceremony May 15, 1942.
Photo and excerpt taken from English. Earl. Journalism education at the University of Missouri-Columbia. Marceline, Mo. : Walsworth, ©1988.
Go to next section "Journalism Library in Walter Williams Hall - 1937-2005"