The simple HathiTrust search box looks like this screenshot:
1. If you are an MU affiliate (current student, faculty or staff), log into HathiTrust by identifying University of Missouri - Columbia as your institution. Logging in isn't necessary for searching, but is helpful for certain other functions of HathiTrust.
2. Before entering search terms, decide whether you want to do a search within the full text of HathiTrust's millions of scanned books or a search within the standard catalog fields in the records for those books, such as title, author, and subject. Choose the Full-text or Catalog button below the search box.
3. If you want to see only those books that you can read online in your result list, check the Full view only box below the search box.
4. Enter the desired term in the search box.
5. Click the Search HathiTrust button.
Your search results list will look something like this:
6. For more information about any of the search results, click Catalog Record near the bottom of the entry. This will also give you a chance to locate a copy of the book in a library near you.
7. If the text of the book can be viewed within HathiTrust, there will also be a link to Full view.
8. If you are logged in via your institution, you can download the text by clicking one of the download links to the side. If not logged in, you will only be able to download small sections.
Screenshots taken June 13, 2019
HathiTrust has two advanced search options, Full-Text Advanced Search, which searches for information within the material (i.e phrases that show up within the text) with only some focus placed on information about the material, or Advanced Catalog Search which puts more focus on information about the material (i.e author, subject, year of publication. etc.).
EbscoHost (n.d.). Help Retrieved April 24, 2019 from http://support.ebsco.com/help/index.php?help_topic_id=49
McMasters Libraries (2016). How Library Stuff Works: Boolean Operators (AND OR NOT) [Video File] Retrieved May 7, 2019 from
McMasters Libraries (2016). How Library Stuff Works: Boolean Modifiers : "", * (), [Video File] Retrieved May 7, 2019 from
York, J. (2019). Help Using the Digital Library. Retrieved April 24, 2019 from
Younger, P. & Boddy, K. (2008). When is a search not a search? A comparison of searching the amed complementary health database via EBSCOhost, OVID, and Dialog. Health Information and Libraries Journal. 26 126-135 doi:10.1111/j.1471-1842.2008.00785.x
As mentioned in the advanced search section you can tell HathiTrust to only look for materials in certain formats.
3 violinist silhouettes By: Johnny_automatic. Open Clip Art Library
The plain text feature on HathiTrust is the automatic generation of text based on the OCR software analysis. Its intent is to allow readers to look at the text without the complications that may result in trying to look at the original scanned copy. However, there are instances where either the OCR software cannot find any text that it understands or it misinterprets the text, resulting in the work being illegible in this mode. In instances such as these we recommend you do not use the plain text view. The following is a quick tutorial on how to turn off the plain text view.
Represents Plain Text Represents Scroll View Represents Flip View Represents Thumbnail view Represents FullScreen View
*Note Full Screen view can be combined with the other view modes. So it is possible to have thumbnail view presented in full screen etc.*
HathiTrust (n.d). Help Using the Digital Library. Retrieved May 15, 2019 from