Skip to Main Content
How the Pandemic and Ellis Library Construction Work Affect How You'll Get Books
- The fastest way to get a book from Ellis Library is to find it in the stacks and check it out yourself. Use the Book Location Guide (second tab on this page) or the signs posted near the elevators to determine which floor your book's call number is on.
- The first letter or two of the call number is usually enough to determine the floor but you should have the entire call number in hand when you go to that floor, in order to locate the correct shelf and locate the book.
- Only medical / veterinary medical students are allowed into the buildings that house the Health Sciences Library and the Veterinary Medical Library this semester, so if you need books from those libraries, you must request them using the Request Item function in the Library catalog.
- Any books housed in the West Stacks of Ellis Library (call numbers starting with P-PG, S-Z, or any Dewey Decimal call number) must also be requested using the Request Item button in the UM LIBRARIES CATALOG.
- Any books requested using the Request Item function can be expected to take at least 3 business days to be brought to the Circulation Desk, longer if Access Services staff are not at work
- Books should be checked out from Ellis Library using the self-checkout machine on the first floor of Ellis Library across from the Circulation Desk.
- To focus your book search on E-books only, you can use the Books & Media tab on the library home page search box and click the Search E-Books button after typing your search words.
- Please wear a mask over your nose and mouth the entire time you are in Ellis Library.