1. You can find books about an author, instead of by an author, using a couple of methods. The first is by using the Books & Media tab in the main Discover@MU search box. Go to library.missouri.edu and select the "Books & Media" tab.
2. By default, the Books & Media tab searches by Topic. For finding a book about an author, leave the search as a Topic, and type in the name of the author you want to search for.
You will be redirected to the MERLIN catalog with a list of results. The picture and underlying text to the left of each result shows what kind of resource it is. Click on the title of an item in order to either access the item (if it is online) or find the location of the item in the Libraries.
3. Alternatively, you can search directly from the MERLIN catalog using subject headings. To do that, click on "Classic Catalog (MERLIN)" in the Quick Links section of the home page. You will be redirected to the MU Libraries’ MERLIN Catalog.
4. In the main search box, click on the yellow "Subjects" tab at the top. This means you are searching for books with an author as the subject of the work.
3. When you click on this tab, you search by subject in the catalog. Type in the author’s last name and first name and then click "Submit."
4. You will now have a list of subject headings for books about the author you searched. For general books about the author, select the subject heading that contains just the author’s name and date of birth/death.
You can further narrow your results by choosing a more specific subject heading. The word(s) after the dates signify a specific genre or type of book.
5. You will be redirected to a list of books that are about the author you searched. You can scroll through the list and click on the title of a record to access more information and the downloading/viewing options if it is online.
For more search tips, or for any other help with your research, contact the librarians.