Library Fines and Lost Books
- Overdue RECALLED Interlibrary Loans (ILL) will be fined at $10.00 per day.
- Overdue RECALLED books will be fined $2.00 per day.
- Overdue MOBIUS books that go to status of billed is $20 non-waivable. Students will have to pay at Cashier’s. Faculty, Staff and Courtesy borrowers pay at Ellis Circulation desk. Cash and checks payable to MU Libraries accepted.
Reserve books & Equipment
- Overdue RESERVE books are $2.00 an hour per item – maximum of $50.00.
- Overdue RESERVE EQUIPMENT (cameras, laptops, recorders, chargers, etc.) – $2.00 an hour or $10 a day with up to a maximum of $50.00.
- The J-Library is very flexible on our equipment check out. If you know that you need something longer than the time that something is due please ask us if you can get it checked out for a longer period.
- You are responsible for any damage or loss of equipment and any late fees.
NOTE: Bringing back an overdue reserve book or piece of equipment does not take off any accrued fines.
- Replacement costs are $175 for overdue books from the MU system (for replacement, processing and acquisition costs). This replacement cost is removed if the book is returned within a reasonable amount of time, though it takes awhile to be credited to your bill at Jesse Hall. If you lose an MU book you might be able buy a replacement book that is in comparable condition to have the replacement cost removed. Contact Sandy Schiefer, email@example.com
- Books borrowed from other MERLIN/MOBIUS Libraries are subject to overdue fines for all borrowers. MOBIUS books that go to billed status have a $20 nonrefundable fee on them.
- As a courtesy, the library sends out a reminder 3 days before something is due. If it is after the due date you will then receive one overdue notice approximately one day after the item is due. If not returned, a second final reminder before going to billed will be sent to the borrower.
- 10 days after the book or equipment is overdue a billed notice will be sent to the borrower and to cashiers with replacement costs. Borrowers who would like to replace a lost book may contact a staff member at the Ellis Library Circulation Desk or their branch library for more information. Equipment that is lost or damaged is preferred to be replaced with an exact replacement.
- Failure to receive a notice does not exempt a borrower from the responsibility to return books on time, and is not grounds for the cancellation of fines.
NOTE: If you are going out of town for more than a few days, the library suggests that you either return your books or make arrangements for your mail to be monitored for Recall Notices in order to avoid high fines.
- For questions about fines call (573) 882-7502 for Journalism Library or (573) 882-4072 for Ellis Library or any Mobius fines.
- For questions about lost books call Sandy Schiefer at (573) 882-0660.
Abiding by these guidelines will prevent a block on your Merlin account which would prevent you from checking out any other books or equipment.