Local libraries with aerial photograph collections
- MU Ellis Library has soil surveys which include B/W aerial photographs overlaid with lines indicating soil type areas. Although soil surveys date back to 1899, only the most recent decades include aerial photos. Shelved in 1 East under call number A 57.38. See example MERLIN record.
- We have 8"x10" black-and white aerial stereo photographs, primarily of rural areas in northwest Missouri, produced by the US Department of Agriculture (and/or predecessor agencies) between 1938 and 1965. Missouri counties include Andrew, Atchison, Buchanan, Carroll, Jackson and Lafayette. Library use only. Contact for further details.
- State Historical Society of Missouri has a collection dating from 1930s-1960s.
Government-based sources for aerial photographs
- U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
- National Archives
- Cartographic and Architectural Section holds millions of US Dept of Agriculture aerial photos dating from 1935-1954, covering about 90% of the contiguous United States. It also holds an extensive collection of military-flown imagery of the United States dating from about 1940 to 1960.
- Aerial Photography of the Soil Conservation Service, 1934-1954. About 600,000 available.
- Aerial photos from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- Missouri River Division, 1944-1969 (source)
- Kansas City District, 1926-1940 (source)
- Ordering aerial photos from the National Archives
"All requests for aerial photography searches must be accompanied by a detailed map upon which the limits of the site are clearly outlined. The request should also include a brief geographic description of the site such as state, county, geographic coordinates, variant spellings of the site name and/or relative location of the site with nearby, well-known geographic locales. Once NWCSC receives this information, staff will indicate to the researcher either the indexes that should be purchased (if the area is large) or the individual photographs needed if the area is small. (source)
- Finding aid: Aerial Photographs in the National Archives, compiled by Charles E. Taylor and Richard E. Spurr, 1973. Provides list of aerial photographs by Missouri county. 1930s-1940s.
- Library of Congress
- U.S. Department of Agriculture
- Missouri Spatial Data Information Service (MSDIS) imagery data.
- St. Louis County GIS Service Center