If your search retrieves few or no citations, consider the following techniques to broaden your search:
- Use the Explode feature to include more specific terms e.g. exploding Fractures, Bone includes Spinal Fractures, Tibial Fractures, etc, (Note that Explode is the default in PubMed)
- Think of additional synonyms or related terms, then combine them with "or"
- Find a relevant citation and look at the MeSH subject headings for ideas for subject headings to use
- Remove limits
- Remove subheadings
- Use keywords in addition to MeSH headings, combined with "or"
- When keyword searching, try truncating the search term with * e.g. child* retrieves children, childhood, child