My job is to help people shape the future through interactions with the past. I work to connect communities and cultural heritage, whether through exhibitions, social media, course instruction, or professional service. Contact me to schedule a session for your class, get your students involved in primary source research, or learn more about the holdings of Special Collections and Rare Books. My research interests include Special Collections pedagogy and the history of visual storytelling and word-image interactions in manuscripts, book illustration, and comics.
MS in Information Science, University of Texas at Austin, 2010
specialization in archives and special collections
MA in Art History, University of Missouri, 2003
BA in Art History and Spanish Literature, University of Missouri, 2001
- Hansen, Kelli. “The Book as Artifact.” In Using Primary Sources: Hands-On Instructional Exercises, ed. Anne Bahde, Heather Smedberg, and Mattie Taormina. Santa Barbara, CA: Libraries Unlimited, (March 2014).
- Hansen, Kelli. “Education, Training, and Recruitment of Special Collections Librarians: An Analysis of Job Advertisements.” RBM: A Journal of Rare Books, Manuscripts, and Cultural Heritage 12:2 (September 2011): 110-132
- “Library News Hubs: Centralized Marketing for Decentralized Outreach,” presentation with Grace Atkins at Electronic Resources and Libraries, Austin, TX. April 3, 2017.
- “Visualizing Catalog Data in Special Collections,” presentation on work in progress at the Digital Special Collections Discussion Group, American Library Association Midwinter Meeting, Atlanta, GA. January 20, 2017.
- “Gathering STEAM through Collaboration: Science Outreach from Special Collections.” Paper presented at the RBMS/ACRL Conference, Coral Gables, FL. June 2016.
- “Some Assembly Required: Building Social Media Teams and Tools to Maximize User Engagement.” Presentation with Grace Atkins at the annual conference of the Missouri Bibliographic Information User System Consortium, Columbia, MO. June 2016.
- Panelist on "Diverse Objects, Diversity Discussions: Teaching Strategies with Material Culture," MU Celebration of Teaching, Columbia, MO. May 2016.
- “Pop-Up Special Collections.” Presentation at the RBMS/ACRL Conference, Oakland, CA. June 2015.
- “Measuring Social Media: Assessing Your Outreach and Impact.” Paper presented at the annual conference of the Missouri Bibliographic Information User System Consortium, Columbia, MO. June 2015.
- Panelist on "Get Real! Teaching with Library, Archive and Museum Collections on Campus," MU Celebration of Teaching, May 2015.
- “The Ghosts of Librarians Past: Researching Library Provenance in Special Collections.” Paper presented as one of several professional speakers at the annual University of Missouri Library and Information Science Graduate Student Association Conference, Columbia, MO. March 2015.
- “Work Smart: Productivity Strategies for Librarians.” Roundtable facilitator at the annual Missouri Library Association Conference, Columbia, MO. October 9, 2014.
Curator of Beyond Words: Visual Narratives from the Block Book to the Graphic Novel, produced in cooperation with the Mid-America Arts Alliance and Exhibits USA, Kansas City, MO (September 2014-2016).