Once your project has been reviewed and your time has been scheduled, you will then be ready to use the Digital Media Lab resources! Read the instructions below carefully before beginning your project. We have included helpful tips to guide you along the way.
1) Turn on the lights: There is a light above the computer which has two brightness settings.
2) Log on to the computer: There are two accounts available for use, (1) MU Students and (2) Library Staff. You will be provided with the appropriate password.
3) Adjust the sound board: The sound board has an on-switch located in the back to the right. The settings have been set to our specifications which you may adjust according to your needs. If you need assistance, please ask an available staff member. We do ask that you return the settings to their original positions.
Structure Sensor 3D Scanner Apps
Explore these available apps or suggest additional apps that would work well with this tool and assist you in your project..
Scanner: Capture 3D models of objects and people by simply walking around them with your iPad and the Structure Sensor attachment. Captured objects can be sent via email (uses OBJ format).
Room Capture: Capture a 3D model of an entire room with your Structure Sensor. Simply tap 'Start', and slowly pan around your room, and a model is built in real time as you watch. When you've finished, the model can be explored with natural touch gestures.
Models are scale-accurate. You can use a measuring tool to measure distance between any two points.
itSeez3D: Capture color and structure information in Bust, Fullbody, Object, or Environment mode and process your scans into realistic 3D models. Use it to scan your family and friends as well as things you would like to copy in 3D, e.g., toys, shoes etc. Share the 3D model by email in .ply, .obj or .wrl formats or on sketchfab.com. Find out more at itseez3d.com.
Fetch: Scan part of your real environment and use it as a game world! For best results, scan an area that has interesting objects on the ground. Notice that real world objects are able to block (occlude) virtual objects.
Calibrator: Precisely align 3D depth from your Structure Sensor accessory to the iPad's camera, enabling optimal performance of the Structure Sensor in all applications. You are guided through the calibration process in just a few minutes, and calibration results are saved to the accessory.
Structure: This is the official companion app for the Structure Sensor. View live 3D distance measurements, overlay 3D depth and color, or uplink a live 3D stream to your computer via WiFi. Please ask for assistance for the latter.
Experience virtual reality using Google Cardboard. The digital media lab has two D-Scope Pro viewers available for in-lab use. Simply download the Cardboard app (available on Android and iOS) to get started.
1) Download the app: Cardboard puts virtual reality on your smartphone. The Cardboard app helps you launch your favorite VR experiences, discover new apps, and set up a viewer.
2) Set up the viewer: Select "Switch viewer" in the top right menu and capture the QR code on the side of the viewer.
3) Find additional apps: Explore and add additional apps or check out Cardboard Demos, including a museum exhibit, a hike through iconic international cities, and an Arctic journey.
4) Begin the VR experience: Choose an app, and then slide your phone into the viewer from the side or open the front to insert. You are ready to begin!
Pen Tablets: Designed for those who are drawing, painting and photo-editing, the pressure-sensitive pen gives you advanced pen performance and realistic pen-on-paper feel. Bring your ideas to life with free software. Wacom Pen Tablets are all you need to get creative digitally.
Tip: If the pen is not synced to the screen properly, try restarting the computer.
Apple Pencil: The versatile Apple Pencil is the best tool to reach for when you need pixel‑perfect precision. Use it to jot down notes, paint a watercolor, or mark up an email. Whatever you need to do, Apple Pencil is easy to use but impossible to put down.
Software for Wacom Devices
Painter Essentials 6
Painter Essentials 6 is custom designed to inspire new digital artists to freely paint blank canvas and photo art creations using award-winning Natural-Media brushes. Essentials’ welcoming environment will encourage creatives to have fun while using powerful and realistic art tools. There’s an artist in all of us.
Corel AfterShot 3
Turn your passion for photography into unforgettable photos—without spending hours at the computer. Corel AfterShot 3 is the simple, affordable way to quickly learn professional grade photo editing. Make easy corrections and enhancements, and apply adjustments to one or thousands of photos at once with batch processing tools.
Clip Studio Paint
Clip Studio Paint is the standard paint tool for Manga. By utilizing Wacom's pen and pressure sensitivity with the Intuos, You can draw very detailed and smooth lines by hand. Clip Studio Paint Pro also offers easy to use and advanced tools for any art style.