Please refer to detailed assignment description posted on the Story of Stuff Resource Page on Canvas.
Focus: Pick an item that is important to you and focus on a component of it
Written: Word document 8 pages per student for WI credit
Oral: PowerPoint 5-7 minutes for individual presentations; 9-13 minutes for two or (concise is a good thing)
Logistics: Four Versions. See online schedule for due dates
1. Connect to class concepts and themes(3 sociology and 2 science/technology concepts)
2. Personal and/or societal/historical significance-Why this item? Why is it important?
3. Process-i.e., extraction/cultivation, production, distribution, consumption, disposal
4. Marketing/consumption dimensions-e.g.,emotional marketing
5. Human dignity/community dimensions-e.g., labor, access, human communities
6. Environmental issues–both local and global
7. Context–How does the product compare with substitutes or alternatives in the above content areas?
8. Make it interactive-3 questions for the audience that connect to class content
9. Reflection on process-successes and struggles with research, reflection on improvement.
10. Bibliography –3 peer-reviewed articles required. In-text citations required