Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The University of Missouri Press and the University of Missouri Libraries are proud to sponsor an interdisciplinary book talk series introducing new and important works published by the University of Missouri Press. This joint endeavor supports our mutual commitment to the book as a medium for fostering learning and expanding intellectual engagement.
A book will be eligible for the series if it meets the following conditions:
- Topic has special relevance for Missouri OR is authored by a current or former Missourian.
- Proposal has the support of an MU campus academic or administrative unit which will partner with us in planning, marketing and promoting the event.
Authors whose work has been published by the University of Missouri Press are encouraged to self-nominate by sending an email to the Book Talks organizer, Marie Concannon at email@example.com. In addition, the MU Events Team will work with the University of Missouri Press to identify eligible books and authors.
In consultation with University of Missouri subject librarians and the University of Missouri Press, the MU Library Events Team will select works for the Book Talk series, taking into account the following:
- Library relevance:
- Authors who plan to discuss the importance of libraries in their own research will receive extra consideration.
- Technical elements:
- Speaker must have a strong internet connection and a clear microphone
- Speaker should be comfortable using Zoom software
- Audience attraction and retention:
- The topic itself should have potential to draw a virtual audience
- Speaker should have the ability to hold an audience's attention in a virtual setting
- Presentations that will be enhanced with audio files, images, etc. will receive extra consideration.
- The appropriate University of Missouri library subject specialist will assist and advise the Events Team concerning proposed book talks in their area of expertise.
- Each book talk will be preceded by a promotional segment for the University Library.
- All book talks will be recorded and made available afterward on the University of Missouri Library's YouTube page.
- The University of Missouri Library Events Team will honor the University of Missouri's Inclusive Excellence Framework for diversity, inclusion and equity; and the American Library Association's statement on the First Amendment and Censorship.
- The Library cannot provide honorariums.