Although the perfect resource would be statistical data showing retail price averages, when this is not available, alternative sources can suggest the approximate prices of consumer goods. Item valuation from theft reports found in the U. S. Congressional Serial Set are one such option.
Some early congressional publications contain theft reports for household items and personal belongings, along with a suggested value or replacement cost. The following were taken from U. S. Congressional Serial Set volume 126, "Memorial of the State of Missouri and Documents in relation to Indian Depredations upon Citizens of that State."
- Itemized theft report with valuation from William Ewing and John Ewing, 1812
- Value of clothing such as great coat, waist coats, pantaloons, shirts, cambric dress, calico dress, shoes, socks, muslin shirts, silk stockings, shawls, petticoats, silk gloves, handkerchiefs, mittens;
- ...Household items such as bedsteads, quilts, dishes, table spoons, sugar bowl, looking glass, table cloth, pillows and cases, pins and sewing needles, yards of linen fabric, yards of "superfine" cloth;
- ...Personal belongings such as silver watch, combs, razor;
- ...Equestrian supplies such as side saddle, stirrups, bridle, man's saddle
- Claim of Matthew M. McCormick, 1813
- Value of household furnishings, bedsteads, brass candlesticks, cooking and serving dishes
- ...Tools such as axe, chisel, augur, hoe, hand saw, knives, loom, spinning wheel, churn, etc.
- ...Livestock including hogs and cattle
- ...Harvested crops including bushels of corn, wheat and flaxseed
- Account of Isaac Best, 1814
- Value of household furnishings including feather beds, straw beds, blankets, sheets, quilts, tablecloth,
- ...Clothing including buffalo robe, cambric muslin dresses, cotton home made dresses, calico dresses, aprons, petticoats, linen shirts, waistcoats, pantaloons, hunting shirt, cotton stockings, fur hats, suspenders,
- ...Personal belongings including handkerchiefs, razor,
- ...Sewing supplies including pins and needles, thimble, linen fabric
- ...Kitchen supplies including coffee pot, sugar scoops, teacups and saucers, pewter spoons, knives
- ...Food including sugar, coffee
- ...Hunting supplies including beaver traps, shot molds, shot
- Claim of Hezekiah O'Neile for robbery, 1812
Tools, kettle, bucket, bedding, etc.
- Property stolen from William Ewing, 1813
Tools and horses
- Horses, itemized by sex, age and height, found throughout the document.