SAGE Journals Online
Sage offers both subject alerts and content alerts (search alerts, or “SJO”). To subscribe:
- Click on the “Tools” tab near the top of the page.
- Click on the “Alerts” button.
- Scroll down and click on the “Click here” link underneath “Not yet registered?”
- Enter an e-mail address and click the “Begin New Registration” button.
- Fill in all information as requested, and click the “Send Form” button.
- A message will appear if the registration was successful.
- Click the “Alert Summary & Preferences” link in the middle of the page.
- Re-enter your user name and password.
- Click the links provided to add subject alerts or content (SJO) alerts.
For subject alerts, just follow the directions provided on that page.
For SJO alerts, fill in the search terms and apply limiters, and then click “Save Alert.”
You may either 1) conduct a search on your chosen topic/author and then select the 'Create an Alert' button on the search results page or 2) go directly to the Alerts Login page and login. Either of these approaches will take you to a page containing an 'Alert Profile'. Complete the profile, including the Alert frequency time frame desired, and save it. You will then receive Alerts at the e-mail address that you provide.
Science Magazine Online
Science offers a wide variety of alerts to registered users and subscribers. They have an alert dashboard page where users can manage their content awareness alerts, research alerts, career alerts and grant alerts. Additional information and help with Science/AAAS alerts can be found here.
- Search for the journal.
- On the journal information page, click on "Alert Me About New Articles."
- Sign in with your ScienceDirect account or Register Now to sign up.
SciFinder Scholar (Chemical Abstracts)
Alerts from SciFinder can be based on many types of searches: Research Topic, Author, Company Name, Document Identifier, Journal, Patent, or Structure.
- First, you must "register" -- you have to do this before you even use SciFinder
- To register, go to the SciFinder Instructions page on the Chemistry Library website.
- Read over the instructions for registering.
- Click on the link "Register for SciFinder Web Version" link and fill in the contact information requested.
- You will be able to choose your own login, password, and security question.
- After you have logged in, you are ready to set up an alert:
- Create a search strategy and run your search. Usually your search will be by topic, author, or journal.
- On the search result page, click on "Create Keep Me Informed".
- Give your search a title and specify an expiration date. Note: The longest a search can be set up to run is 1 year, which is the default; reminders will be sent by email when the Keep Me Informed alert is about to expire so you can extend it.
- Click on Create.
- Once a week you will receive by email the new articles that have been added to SciFinder.
Alerts are not available.
- Click on the Alerts icon in the upper right part of the screen.
- Sign in with your username and password, or register an account if you are a first-time user.
- Click the Create button and fill out the form to set up an alert.
- Clck the Save Alert button when finished.